For the August edition of BLACK FOODIE Picnic Day, we’ve put together a list of Black-owned businesses whose products and services we highly recommend for your next outdoor event.
Choose from innovative restaurants, full-service picnic planners, and decadent condiments to turn up the vibes and flavour for a gathering your friends won’t soon forget.
Don’t want to make alll of the food on your menu? Let these restaurants, caterers, and chefs whip up a picnic-friendly meal packed with of African, Caribbean, and Southern must-haves. Try:
- Dacy’s Gourmet Kitchen for Caribbean and Southern classics with a fine dining twist. Food orders available for pick-up in Brampton, ON.
2. AfroBeat Kitchen for Nigerian fusion cuisine. Food orders available for take-out in Toronto, ON.
3. Mr. Clutch Wings for Halal wings flavoured to perfection. Food orders available for pick-up in Toronto, ON.
4. Le Virunga restaurant for park-perfect Pan-African cuisine. Food orders available for pick-up and take-out in Montreal, QC.
5. Teo’s Tasty Cravings for gourmet meals prepared by a private chef. Food orders available for pick-up, take-out, and delivery in Cheverly, MD.
6. Swift Café for wholesome and delicious Angeleno faves for every diet. Food orders available for take-out in Los Angeles, CA.
7. Seafood House for lip-smackingly good shrimp, lobster, and crab platters. Food orders available for pick-up in Hamilton, ON.
8.PlanCookHost for comfort food made with seasonal ingredients. Food orders available for delivery in Atlanta, GA.
Want to host a picnic that’ll make the ‘Gram green with envy? Let someone else take care of the details; specifically, these three event planners offering everything from picnic styling and set-up to day-of photography.
9. Picnics in the 6ix takes care of every little detail with eclectic packages organized by aesthetic. Services provided in the Greater Toronto Area.
10. Picnics and Parks offers styling and photography services for intimate outdoor events. Services provided in Toronto, ON.
11. Madame Vzzz’s Catering and Events provides full-service picnic planning for families, couples, and friend groups. Packages are currently 30% off. Services provided in Hamilton, ON.
Ready to jazz up a boring charcuterie board? Add these condiments, snacks, and spices to your basket for a blast of flavour that’ll have your tastebuds tingling.
12. For a sweet addition to savoury finger foods, try Lignum Honey. Made from raw honeycomb harvested in Jamaica, these complex flavours will push your palate to new heights. Shipping internationally from Toronto, ON.
13. Kick your patties and platanos up a notch with Hot Sauce Shero‘s fruit-flavoured sauces. Choose from a variety of innovative options like Guava Lava and Red Hot Chili Peach. Shipping domestically from Miami, FL.
14. If you love shaking a lil’ somethin’ extra onto your food, Avocado Crack needs to be in your cooler bag. Put their addictive seasoning (available in low and no sodium variations) on everything from guacamole to avocado toast. Shipping internationally from Houston, TX.
15. Want to make the most of the good weather? Reach for energizing goodies like the cold-pressed juices and kale chips from Classic Juice Co. to keep you awake and refreshed all day long. Products available for pick-up in Toronto, ON.
16. Gluten-free/vegan foodies rejoice! MH Fine Foods‘ sweet potato-based hot sauces combine the best of Caribbean flavouring and vegetable science to create the perfect healthy addition to your menu. Products available for pick-up in Cambridge, ON.
17. Jessica’s Cast Iron Chef Chronicles brand creates high-quality accessories that’ll keep you safe in the kitchen while you whip up crowd-favourites like her recipe for Spicy Super Crunch Chicken Tenders. Kitchenware shipping internationally from Burlington, NC.
However you decide to plan your picnic, make sure to hit shuffle on our official picnic playlist and tag us in your photos using #blackfoodiepicnicday for a chance to be featured on our feed (and don’t forget your mask!).