The BLACKFOODIE Battle: Plantain Edition was epic! In this social media driven food competition each contestant was tasked with creating a delicious creative meal using plantains. Each contestant put their own unique and tasty spin on the plantains making everything from jerk plantain tostones to plantain gnocchi and more. Dighet’s Plantain lasagna ended up winning with the most but every contestant’s recipe was a winner in our eyes. Watch the video above to see the challengers spice plantains up! We’ve also listed most of the recipes featured in the video below:
2 c white flour
1 large egg
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
3 tbsp butter
2 c spinach
¼ c shredded parmesan (for garnish)
1. Cut plantain into quarters and boil for about 15 minutes or until fork tender.
2. When plantains are tender, drain and mash them. Let cool. When cool add egg and mix.
3. Add flour, salt, and pepper to plantain and mix to form a dough. When dough comes together knead to form a ball. Let dough ball rest for 10 minutes.
4.While the dough is resting you can get the water ready to boil the gnocchi. Set pot with water and a pinch of salt and set on high heat.
5.Quarter dough ball and form a “rope” with the first quarter of dough.
6. Cut rope into ½inch piecies. Set piecies to the side. When all quarters are rolled and cut into pieces you can drop gnocchi into boiling water. You can also roll them on the back of a fork or wooden paddle before cooking them to achieve the classic gnocchi shape.
7. The gnocchi are done when they float. Remove from water when done.
8. Place butter into saute pan and set onto a high heat. When butter browns and smells nutty add cooked gnocchi.
9. When gnocchi have browned add spinach. Season with salt and pepper and cook until wilted.
10. Remove from pan and garnish with shredded parmesan.
- 1 ripe plantain
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed meal + 3 tbsp of water (equivalent to 1 egg)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped nuts, optional
- 3 green Plantains
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 Can diced seasoned tomatoes
- 1/2 Can black beans
- 1 Cup marble cheese
- 1 Cup Feta cheese
- 1 Cup vegetable oil
- All Purpose seasoning
- Ground Cumin
Heat oven to 350 degree Celsius
Fry Green plantains until golden brown then flatten with a rolling pin
In a large frying pan caramelize onions and bell peppers, then pour in crushed tomatoes and black beans, cook for a bit once sauce like texture develops fold in ground beef.
Add seasoning to your preference and thoroughly cook
Layer Pyrex dish with a thin layer of meat sauce, add a layer of plantains followed by a layer of feta cheese. Repeat all three ingredients until the top. Add a layer of marble cheese on the very top and place in the oven to bake for 20 mins
Enjoy Hot 🙂
- 1 Plantain
- 1/4 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp of Nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of Kahlua liqueur
- 1 Egg
- 6 Spring Roll Shells
- Roll the plantain on the sugar plate with nutmeg and cinnamon and ensure that the plantain is coated with enough sugar
- Place the plantain with sugar coating in the spring roll wrapper
- Fold and lock the spring roll wrapper, use egg to seal the edge
- In a pan, heat the oil and put-in some sugar. Wait until the brown sugar floats
- Put-in the wrapped plantain and fry until the wrapper turns golden brown
- Remove from heat and place on a table
- Add 1/4 cup of brown sugar to hot pot
- Add Kahlua Liqueur
- Allow sugar to melt
- Remove from heat
Create Homemade Whip
- Add Whip Cream to mixer
- Add Kahlua Liqueur and sprinkle of brown sugar
- Whip on a high speed for 5 minutes
- 1 plantain
- Ginger powder
- Star anise
- Coconut milk
- 4 cups of water
- Lemon zest
- Almond extract ( substitute for vanilla extract)
- Brown sugar
- Wash and peel the skin of the washed plantain and cut into small cubes
- Add 2 cups of water and blend
- Pour the blended plantain into a saucepan with your spices (cinnamon, anise, nutmeg, ginger powder, lemon zest)
- Add 2 cups of water and cook the plantain puree for 20 mins
- Strain the cooked plantain puree
- Add 1 can of coconut milk and brown sugar to taste
- let it reduce for 5 minutes
- Add the almond extract (essence noyau)
- Enjoy it with bread, or cassava
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Jerk rub/ marinade of your choice
- 1 large ripe plantain
- 1 large green plantain
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 c Mayo
- 1 T Jerk rub
- TT Fresh Lemon juice
- TT Mixed Greens, Arugula, cabbage, your choice