With COVID-19 having taken us by surprise this year, picnics are becoming the new brunch and the new way to gather with your friends and family. We have come a long way from the simple picnic that we used to have with our family in the park or at the beach.
What I love the most about picnics is that you can either make it fancy with flowers and decorations or keep it simple. The most important thing is to enjoy good food and live in the moment with your loved ones. I’m going to share with you my picnic do’s and don’ts.
First, my absolutely must-DO list:
- Have a theme for your picnic. Keep it coordinated!
- Use a wood palette or wooden box to either put your picnic food on or to set as your table.
- Bring 2 coolers (or 1 cooler and silver bin). Use one cooler to keep clean ice to put it in your drinks or use it to keep certain food cold. Use the other cooler (or silver bin) to display your drinks
- If you want to keep your decorations simple, use a white table cloth to display the food and a picnic basket to display flowers. You can find very nice picnic baskets at your local thrift store;
- Have a charcuterie board. Why? Because everyone likes to snack on cheese and crackers. As well, aesthetically, it looks so good on a picnic table.
- Last, but not least, have a good playlist! Thankfully, BLACK FOODIE has you covered. Click here for their 4-hour long Picnic Day playlist.
Now that we’ve got the Dos covered, here’s what you should avoid:
- Don’t keep any food that contains mayo exposed to the sun. I repeat: do not keep any food that contains mayo exposed to the sun! Or, even just out on the table for very long.
- If you are making sandwich wraps, keep the condiments separate and in your cooler. Only serve them when you are ready to eat. This prevents the sandwiches from getting soggy.
- Don’t forget your garbage bags. Nobody likes a litter bug!
- Don’t let food sit out without a cover! Mesh and plastic covers are perfect for keeping your food covered so you don’t invite any unwanted bugs to snack on your eats.
Summer may be ending soon, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them in style! As long as you keep these tips in mind, your outdoor gatherings will be amazing, no matter what the tempurature is.