Step up your pancake game with this tasty recipe featuring the ancient Ethiopian grain Teff. Traditionally Teff has been used to prepare injera, a fermented flatbread in East Africa for centuries. Now this tiny grain has gained popularity in the west because it is naturally gluten free and a great source of minerals. But that’s not the only reason to bake with Teff, this superfood has a delicious nutty flavour that pairs well with chocolatey and sweet baked goods!
Since the start of Black history month (which I celebrate all year long lol) I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate more of my cultural foods and ingredients into my routine and this pancake recipe was a great way to use a grain I grew up on in an unconventional way for a breakfast treat I love! The best part about this is I partnered with a new Ethiopian owned Teff company that sources their high quality Teff grain directly from farmers in Africa. Berhan is committed to providing amazing Teff sourced from Africa and telling the story of this unique grain.
We’ve got lots more in store with Berhan Teff, but for now enjoy this delicious & easy to make breakfast treat! Ps. you can purchase some Berhan Teff for yourself on their site.
- 1/2 cup Berhan Teff
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 cup cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 spoons brown sugar
- 1 spoon vanilla
- 1 Banana crushed
- 1 spoon cinnamon
- 1 spoon baking powder
- Maple syrup
- Mix dry ingredients of Berhan Teff flour, oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and brown sugar together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Crush a ripe banana until it’s a smooth creamy texture and mix in vanilla and cream in a separate bowl alongside egg yolks. Set aside egg whites in a separate bowl and whip until it begins to have semi stiff peaks.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, be careful to not over stir. Then fold in the egg whites.
- Add even scoops of the Teff pancake mixture to a well greased hot pan or skillet.
- Mix 1/4 cup of tahini with 3 spoons of maple syrup (you can change measurements to fit your taste) and a generous amount of cinnamon. Drizzle over pancakes when ready to serve alongside fresh berries.